Thursday, January 14, 2010

Can't get you outta my head

I've had a blog for quite some time now. I write in it daily, hourly, sometimes constantly. I come up with clever titles, recap my days, share pictures with HILARIOUS captions and link my readers to the most useful, craziest, and zaniest of websites! I review tv shows, songs, products, websites and restaurants. I share my daughter's milestones. I confess my shortcomings. I rant about injustices and I pay tribute to everyday heroes. So, why is this the first entry you're reading? Why do I start afresh today with Variety Show Blog? Because, until now, all of my blogging efforts have been confined to the ever flowing slate in my mind. It all started with social networking. As I'm sure you've experienced, sites such as facebook and its more juvenile foe, myspace, have forced me to think in third person. "Jill is creating a blog", "Jill is about to slam into the slow moving moron in front of her if they don't get out of her way", "Jill wishes her daughter would stop asking 'why'". It didn't stop there, though. I am such a loyal friend (loyal, nosy, same difference) that I keep up with each and every blog written by my friends, their friends, their friend's great aunt, the girl I went to summer camp with, the complete stranger I linked to from the girl I went to summer camp with, the stay at home mom blog (or 20), the working moms' blogs, the girl I envied in highschool's blog, and of course the Pioneer Woman (because who doesn't keep up with the Pioneer Woman?). After following so many scripted life stories, I began to script my own.Problem is, I couldn't figure out how to confine my blog into one concise, organized site. I was all over the place. Then it hit me. I don't have to have a "mom" blog or a "critique blog". There are no blog police forcing me to choose one aspect of myself and only spill my guts regarding it. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me sooner. Some of my favorite things are variety based. The Soup, The Melting Pot, gossip magazines, Long Island Ice Tea, Chinese buffets, Sonny and Cher, Mrs Dash, Magic 96, gumbo, imitation crab meat, Britney Spears. . .you get the gist (yeah, I thought it was 'jist' too). I like things all mixed up, eclectic if you will. Thus is born "The Variety Show Blog". Original title? Maybe not. Will it work for now? I'm thinkin' so.

Now, I've seen many a blog with several "themes". "Wordless Wednesday", "Friday at 5", "Sunday Sermon". But, I'm afraid I can't be confined to blogging about a certain topic on a certain day of the week. I have several topics in mind (and clever names to match), but I might blog a tv review 2 nights in a row, or a product review twice in one day, I might even vent about an annoying coworker every other day. There is no rhyme or reason to the Variety Show Blog! Its a surprise everyday! I do have a backlog of etsy products I plan to review in a category entitled " What the Etsy?", so it may appear frequently for the first week or so. I also feel strongly about passive aggressive facebook statuses. So, you may see "analysis of a facebook status" more than once in the next few days. I may even lose some "friends" over it. I say, its worth it for the joy of sweet release.

I do hope you'll stay tuned. I promise not to bore you. And I welcome your interaction. It irks me when people disable comments. Challenge me, agree with me, laugh with me, be appalled with me-just don't be mean to me. Despite my tough exterior, I am quite the delicate flower.

Consider this the ground breaking ceremony for the next "Bloggie" triple threat, The Variety Show Blog!

2 comments:

  1. I love a good variety show. This should be interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill I'm so glad you started a blog! Your facebook status updates (I had to add updates because I was debating entirely too long how to make status plural) are some of my favorites and your blog does not disappoint!!! BTW, I personally love the variety...it is the spice of life you know, haha! - April K.

    ReplyDelete